Translate

Monday, May 4, 2015

How Shunning Affects Those Who Have Left

Contributed by Christian Sparlock Freedom
The following are comments posted about how the Watchtower Society's shunning doctrine affects those who are forced to be on the receiving end of this heinous and un-Christian teaching. 

Brenda Lee - My family has shunned me since 1981.  In 2012, when my father was very sick and about to pass away, I ran into my mother and sister in the hospital hallway.  Sadly, my mother didn't even recognize me. It had been over 30 years since she laid eyes on me.  When my sister told her who I was, she burst into hysterics and tears.  After my dad died, my sister, brother, mother and sister's five children continued to shun me, once "official estate business" was complete. My mother swears she never shunned me.  I know differently and made a video about it to warn the world.  I politely ask her in the video about the shunning and produce documentation to prove it.  During our conversation, you'll hear her hang up on me.  Jehovah's Witnesses don't really want to know the truth, just their version of it.  Here's the link to my video:   Should I study with Jehovah's Witnesses? They seem like nice people. 

I think the thing that upsets me the most is that I lost my HISTORY.  All of my extended relatives (non-JWs) were cut off from me at age 10 when my family became JWs.  I was told "Satan might be using them to keep us from learning The Truth."  When I left in 1981, I didn't know many of their names or where they lived.  Fortunately, as a result of my dad's passing, I've been able to reconnect with some of them.  How ironic that it took my dad dying to bring our family back together.  Three years ago I attended my first family reunion (on my dad's side).  It was surreal to walk into a park and see 100 strangers standing there, knowing they are all related to you. A few I recognized.   Most I did not.  All through my life I've wanted to ask my mom something about her ancestry or medical history but I couldn't.  Now, my extended family, with the help of ancestry.com is starting to help me slowly complete the puzzle pieces of my life, the life I had before Jehovah Witnesses knocked on our door

Noel Blackwell - The weight of shunning is so incredibly crushing, sometimes I barely hold up underneath it.  Right now is one of those times.  It's been almost 3 years and it still hasn't become any easier. When is it suppose to get easier already?  I understand why so many take their own lives, it's almost unbearable to continue on at times. It's not just that you're cast out.  It's also what they think of you and how much they hate you and the way they treat you, on those rare occasions you have to interact with them.  The venomous and vile way I've been treated by my own mother and sisters is destroying me from the inside out.  I knew what I was getting myself into when I left, but I never expected to get yelled at, have doors slammed in my face, and my little children be rejected.  I haven't seen my oldest sister or her children once since I left and she was my best friend.  If I saw my nephews today, I wouldn't even recognize them since they were so young when we left.  I miss my mom & sisters so badly, it physically hurts.  I'm sorry for the depressing rant, I just feel like I need to be heard.  If not by them, at least by someone.
Contributed by Christian Sparlock Freedom
Lora Watson Tevis - It is emotional and mental abuse of those disfellowshipped.  JW Elders are taught how to split a family apart.  It gives them more mind-control over the ones that are seduced by Watchtower Society teachings to do the shunning.


William Bacon - Shunning is also practiced by alleged Christian Churches.  I have seen it happen and, in times past, I've been a victim of it.  It's very popular, especially when the religion's leaders have something to hide.

Linda Young - It causes horrid repercussions. It left me so vulnerable to abuses by others I literally had no one. I was severely physically ill which affected my emotional health. When you're deserted by your own family, people are suspicious that your character is poor. Not all do, but I think the majority do. Self hate became a constant feature, because I began to believe that there must be something SO bad about me. So defective, I was too stupid to see it. Discarded and hated by the only hope that is had. They said GOD was not listening to my prayers.  It's like any other non-profit.  Publicity is what brings in the big bucks. Image is everything in this world's businesses.
   
Denice Flaherty - Even the animals live together in generations of their family!  They look after one another, are joyful over new ones born, mourn over others lost or passed on! This shunning is evil and intended to torture, to bend one to do someone else's will.  Loving, warm- hearted creatures are made to give love and receive love, not to be cut off from family.  This causes the soul to die and constantly be longing for that lost love.  Shunning is torture and murder of another human!

Mori Magnus - I've met people more than once, who asked me whether shunning really happens. A lot of people think JWs are strange but nice people. It's a shame how JWs polish their public image and few people really understand the sinister aspects of that religion. And what irony: the Watchtower Society likes to claim they fight for human rights, but disregards the very same when it comes to their own members.
 
Noel Parsons - I have been shunned by my older sister and her children for 25 years, since several years before I wrote the letter to the Governing Naughty, which prompted them to order the elders in my former congregation to disfellowship me.  

Why, you may ask?  Several years before I was disfellowshipped, I had been in a car accident, was injured, could not work and needed help.  The shunning by my own family members began then, because it is not the Watchtower Society's policy to be charitable in any way as Christians, no matter what they claim.  If the Watchtower Society reversed their shunning policy, the damage to them would result in more people waking up to their manipulations, their deceipt, their greed, and they would begin losing both slaves to do their bidding and money to buy their designer clothing and bling, etc.  And so.....the beat goes on.

The effects of their shunning policy on me haven't been negligible, although there's a whole world out here, full of kind and caring people, who are willing to show unconditional love and are not judgemental.  I did attempt suicide more than a few times, after I was disfellowshipped.  The reason?  I was isolated from all association with people I had believed were my friends and family members.  When you're completely alone and don't even have another human you can talk to about what you're going through, it makes the transition from their version of "good standing" to utter ostracism like going through withdrawal from heavy drug usage, ....."cold turkey."  Very painful.  But I'm strong and I survived.....and I realized my purpose is to help expose the harm to individuals and families done by the Governing Body of the Watchtower Society of Jehovah's Witnesses.


Jacqueline Fowler - Shunning has made me free.  I have made new friends and had experiences that I would not have had, if I stayed in the loop with those still fooled and worshipping the words of the governing body.  Their way of behaving would have kept me in bondage. I would not have moved on.  So for me, I looked at shunning as an opportunity to learn and grow.  As a result, I don't really think about the horrors anymore.  I don't depend on others to make me happy, they also have the right to protect themselves from what they feel would harm them.  I respect them and got on with living.  I have been gone now for 5 years, after spending 62 years there.  All 8 siblings and my 3 children with family are still in. Thank you.